I had a bunch of fruit in the fridge, and for the first time in probably 20 years, I re-kindled my relationship with Persimmons. When I was a kid, the ones I remember trying were hot and mushy. Their texture felt a bit like rotten tomatoes but with sugar!! and the fact that we call them KaKa on our side of the world, didn’t help the gulping process at all.
I’m not sure at what point my palette matured, but 20 years later, God they taste heavenly sweet.
Last week, I was walking down the breakfast aisle in the supermarket looking for oats. I noticed a box of buckwheat flakes that intrigued me. I was getting a bit too bored of oats actually, and decided to try this for a switch up. Im not a fan of warm porridge (atleast it’s not cold enough in Qatar to crave warm porridges)! So I thought, why not try a cold version.
So here goes my colorful breakfast bowl for 1:
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flakes
- 1 Tbsp Organic Matcha Powder
- 1 Tbsp Rose Water
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 1 sliced Persimmon
- 1 sliced Banana
- Handful of Blueberries
- Handful mixed nut and dried fruit
- In a bowl, mix wet ingredients along with Matcha Powder and buckwheat flakes. You will notice the texture of buckwheat will get slightly gloopy and elastic’ish. Thats how its supposed to be. Add more almond milk to set the texture you are looking for.
- For the toppings, neatly organize them whichever you want, do remember to make it pretty. Because why not and you deserve to eat pretty things.
- Bon Apettit.